You will find this section a useful guide to living in India throughout your stay in India. It explains everything from the basics, such the India Climate, Banking system etc. It also includes tips on how to stay Safe and Secure.
India, a country that occupies the greater part of South Asia. It is a constitutional republic consisting of 29 states, each with a substantial degree of control over its own affairs; 6 less fully empowered union territories; and the Delhi national capital territory, which includes New Delhi, India’s capital. With roughly one-sixth of the world’s total population, India is the second most-populous country, after China.
India in short facts & figures
Capital: New Delhi
Official language: Hindi and English
Government: Federal parliamentary republic
Area: 1,269,346 square miles/ 3,287,263 square kilometers
Population: 1.29 billion
Currency: Indian rupee (₹) (INR)
Calling code: +91
India has been a major seat of learning for thousands of years. The country was home to both Takshashila – the first university in the world, and to the inventor of the digit 0 – Āryabhaṭa. Albert Einstein once said, “we owe a lot to the Indians who taught us how to count, without which no worthwhile scientific discovery could have been made”.
The Indian education system is highly similar to that of the Anglo Saxon countries. The stages are:
Nursery –> primary (class 1 to class 5) –>secondary (class 6 to Class 10) –> Senior Secondary (class 11- Class 12) –> Graduation (Arts & Commerce – 3 years, professional – 4 years, Medical – 5 years,) –> post graduation (1/2 to 3 years)
The Indian education system is currently mainly comprised of primary education, secondary education, senior secondary education and higher education. Elementary education consists of eight years of education. Secondary education lasts four years and senior secondary education is an additional two years of education.
Taking the medical entrance test, choosing the correct course or getting enrolled in a proper institute for studying medicine are all essential steps of studying medicine in India. Listed below are the names of some of the prominent medical institutes of the country.
- All India Institute of Medical Science (AIIMS)
- St John’s Medical College Hospital
- Maharashtra University of Health Science
- Christian Medical College and Hospital
- Post Graduate Institute of Medical Education and Research, Chandigarh
- All India Institute of Speech and Hearing, Mysore
- Central Institute of Psychiatry, Ranchi
- All India Institute of Hygiene and Public Health
- Regional Leprosy Training and Research Institutes
Top Universities in India, is the comprehensive list of best Universities in India, prepared by Careers360 annual ranking and rating exercise. The ranking/rating is based on factors like quality of students, research output, industry interface, refereed publications and academic productivity.
Over 2000 RTIs are filed to gather this data as well as publication record from Scopus and Web of Science, patents, NAAC rating score and information from various other trusted sources is collected every year by Careers360 team to publish the list of top Universities in India.
- Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore
- Indian Institute of Technology Kharagpur
- Indian Institute of Technology Bombay
- University of Delhi, Delhi
- Indian Institute of Technology Delhi
- Indian Institute of Technology Kanpur
- Tata Institute of Fundamental Research, Mumbai
- National Institute of Pharmaceutical Education and Research SAS Nagar
- Indian Institute of Technology Madras
- All India Institute of Medical Sciences New Delhi
Student visas are granted to people who wish to come to India and study at an officially recognized educational institution.
This includes the study of Yoga, Vedic culture, and Indian system of dance and music.
The main document required is student admission/registration papers from the institution.
Indian Missions/Posts grant a student visa for a period of five years or for the duration of the course of study, whichever is less, to the below:
- To foreigner students coming to India to pursue regular and full time academic studies in India.
- For foreigner students coming for Industrial training, summer project and internship.
- Provisional student visa valid for six months for the students exploring admission or taking admission tests.
- Applicant should possess the proof of admission to a full time regular academic course in a reputed/recognized educational institution in India and evidence of financial support.
- The applicant should also possess a “No Objection Certificate” from the Ministry of Health in case of admission in medical or Para-medical course.
- Spouse and dependent family members accompanying the applicant must apply for an Entry Visa (Not Tourist Visa. Its termination date will coincide with the period of the principal Visa holder.
Fee For Student Visa:
- Passport with 6 month validity
- Passport size photographs
- Photo copy of passport
- Proof of residential address
- Copy of online filled form
- University admission letter
- University details
Among the top 15 countries, India is the least expensive country for foreign students. The cost of living here is very less as compared to other countries. One of the major reasons for low cost of education is that the government of India funds a wide range of education streams.
The first factor that you need to consider is that the annual cost of education combined with living is on an average ₹ 350,000. This is far lesser than the cost of education in developed countries like the US or UK.
In India, the scenario for accommodation is different from the other countries. Here many reputed universities offer accommodation to their students within campus. However, some universities do not have this facility. In this case a student has the option to rent a room in a private hostel, rent a room on his own, or get a serviced apartment on rent. There are various benefits that a student gets in each type of accommodation that he/she chooses. A student can experience a comfortable stay for a month within ₹ 10,000. So annually ₹ 120,000 would make the student’s living comfortable, happy, and safe.
Average other Living Expenses (Indian ₹)
- Eating out – ₹ 1,500 to ₹ 4,500 per week
- Utility bills – ₹ 200 to ₹ 500 per week
- Public transport – ₹ 70 to ₹ 100 per week
- Sports and leisure – ₹ 300 to ₹ 800 per week
Kerala “Gods Own County” is an ideal introduction to travel in India as God has rewarded this thin strip of land hugely with much of pure beauty of nature, rivers, beautiful beaches, wonderful backwaters, fascinating hill stations, rich culture, and heritage, imposing art and many more or undeniably offers to blend of various features which give very pleasant atmosphere to everyone and relieve or calm down all senses as well as body, soul or mind.
Kerala cuisine is famous for its mouthwatering recipes and authentic Malayali dishes. Kerala food is spicy and delectable.Kerala has its own distinctive cuisine using the ingredients locally available.
Kerala equable climate, natural abundance of forests, and the cool monsoon season are best suited for Ayurveda’s curative and restorative packages.
Being one of the traditional Universities in India, the University of Kerala had, by and large, catered to the academic needs of the students from Kerala and the neighboring states in India. The University has responded to the recent changes in world education scenario by promoting students and faculty from foreign countries to study/teach in the University of Kerala.
Best universities in Kerala
|University of Calicut||Calicut|
|Mahatma Gandhi University||Kottayam|
|National Institute of Technology, Calicut||Calicut|
|University of Kerala||Thiruvananthapuram|
|Cochin University of Science and Technology||Kochi|
|APJ Abdul Kalam Technological University||Thiruvananthapuram|
Rajagiri School of Engineering & Technology
Rajagiri School of Engineering & Technology (RSET) (https://www.rajagiritech.ac.in),
established in 2001, is a private self-financing college, which had been affiliated to the
Mahatma Gandhi University, Kottayam, Kerala from the 2001 to the 2014 admissions, and
is affiliated to the A.P.J. Abdul Kalam Technological University (KTU), Trivandrum, Kerala
from the 2015 admissions onwards. The college is approved by the All India Council for
Technical Education, New Delhi.
Seven UG programmes are offered:
1. B.Tech. Applied Electronics & Instrumentation
2. B.Tech Computer Science & Engineering
3. B.Tech Electrical & Electronics Engineering
4. B.Tech Electronics & Communication Engineering
5. B.Tech Information Technology
These have been granted provisional accreditation by NBA for 3 years w.e.f. July
6. B.Tech Civil Engineering
7. B.Tech Mechanical Engineering
RSET is an Endeavour of the Sacred Heart Province of the Carmelites of Mary Immaculate
(CMI) – the first-ever indigenous religious congregation for men in the Syrian Catholic
tradition of Christianity in India. The CMI congregation, canonically established in 1855,
played a major role in revolutionizing the education scene in Kerala in the late 19th
century. Heirs to the profound vision of St. Kuriakose Elias Chavara, one of the founding
fathers of the congregation, the CMIs’ have zealously worked towards providing value-
based quality education to society at large, irrespective of religious differences, down the
centuries. Today, the congregation has more than 400 educational institutions, from
schools to professional colleges under its umbrella.
The Rajagiri Valley campus is a perfect blend of the urban and the rural: while the verdant
and serene backdrop of the self-contained campus provides the ideal atmosphere for
stimulating the creativity and intellectual pursuits of the academia, the close proximity to
the industrial belt of Kerala, the Infopark, and the proposed Smart City helps in providing
the students with exposure to the practical aspects of their profession. This ensures a
smooth transition from the institution to the industry for our graduates.
Vision: To evolve into a premier technological and research institution, molding eminent
professionals with creative minds, innovative ideas and sound practical skill, and to shape a
future where technology works for the enrichment of mankind.
Mission: To impart state-of-the-art knowledge to individuals in various technological
disciplines and to inculcate in them a high degree of social consciousness and human
values, thereby enabling them to face the challenges of life with courage and conviction.
Objective: The institution has the broad objective of being an active agent of change by
responding to the needs and challenges of the times. This is achieved basically through the
process of education, training and research.
RSET is affiliated under:
1. A.P.J Abdul Kalam Technological University (KTU), Trivandrum, Kerala
2. All India Council for Technical Education (AICTE), New Delhi
RSET has also been one among the top in the list of educational surveys and Engineering
college rankings in both state and National levels.